Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

Baby #2 makes a debut

This should have came about 2 weeks ago but time on a computer is basically nil when you have two children under 2. Let's go back, back to about 36 weeks pregnant and see what has happened since.

They day before Thanksgiving I was laying in bed about to go to bed when I couldn't fall asleep because of this ridiculously crazy pressure build up right under my stomach. It hurt, and on top of that I thought I was feeling contractions. I honestly couldn't remember what contractions felt like with Eden so I was laying there wondering if this was really what I was feeling or braxton hicks, which I've never felt before. After about 3 hours of this pain (I couldn't time it because it was just an ongoing pain from the pressure) I decided to call my doctor and see what was up. Guess who answered the phone? My doctor, luckily. I've met all the other doctors in the practice but I was somehow relieved that it was my doctor that was in that day. He told me to come in just to rule out preterm labor so at 1am, my brother got a phone call. He rushed over and E and I rushed over to the hospital. After checking me, my doctor admitted me and said I was going to have a baby. He told me to try and get some rest (I was only 4cm) and that he'd check up on me in the morning when he wakes up. Well 7am rolls around, I got zero sleep because of all the contractions and what happens? My contractions completely stop. Not only do they stop but after being checked again, I went from 4cm to 2cm... yes it really can happen. My dr discharged me and told me to keep on my toes and that this baby really could come any day, he swore he may see me that evening. Well days came and went and no baby was in sight. It really was a blessing, I was 36weeks and 5days, really close to being full term but not full term yet. God had other plans for baby E. 

Not only did days come and pass but weeks came and went and still no baby E in sight. I went to my 37 week appointment, 38, 39, and 40 with still no baby. I was on my toes for 4 weeks wondering when this baby was going to come since my scare happened and one of my biggest fears was having a baby at home and not being able to make it to the hospital in time.

At my 40 week doctor's appointment, I asked my dr if he would strip my membranes just to see if it would help jump start anything. He said they don't strip membranes any longer because of infections so he asked if I wanted to set a date for induction. Well he set it for the next day, not what I expected but I went along with it.

I got to the hospital on December 14 at 7 in the morning. By 7:45, we were settled in the room with everything in place for my doctor to come and break my water. He then started "pitocin" though it didn't even start before my labor really took off. By 8:00, although I said I was going to go natural I asked for an epidural. That's how painful my labor was right from the start. I asked my nurse how long it usually takes for moms to get to 10cm and she said a few hours normally but definitely not any time soon. I was in for a ride.

Turns out, my labor was FAST; so fast that my doctor wasn't even able to make it to his first c-section appointment. When I initially asked for the epidural, my nurse kind of chuckled and said well your blood work hasn't even been submitted and you'll have to wait. By 8:20 she came back in and said that the blood work was finished but there was no anesthesiologist to come and give me the epi. I WAS IN PAIN! I told her I couldn't handle it any longer and I need her to do something, anything to get me the epi.

8:45, my nurse found an anesthesiologist from a different floor to come and give me the epi. By the time he was done at 8:55, I told them that I needed to push. I laid down, told them I wouldn't push until the epi started to work and was told that the epi takes time and time is what we didn't have. I pushed and since we were team green, my doctor asked me to look down to see what sex the baby was. I told the doctor to just get the baby out and he insisted I look. I quickly looked down and the nurse announced that we were having a boy. Elijah was born at 9:05am and I felt every single part of my labor.

Not how I expected to have a "natural" birth but it was an experience I wouldn't take back. My labor was about an hour long, definitely not normal and the nurse was absolutely surprised. My doctor made a joke that if I wasn't induced, I might of had the baby in the car since my hospital was 20 minutes away. Thank goodness God had a plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment