Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2011

art projects to keep mommy busy

I've been busy "nesting" as some people would call it, I say that I'm bored and need something to keep me busy. To each their own, I've been working on a couple projects while daddy is playing Halo and yelling at the TV for most the night. One of my projects that I worked on was closet dividers so that I know which clothes go for which month of age. I've gotten tons of great reviews so I decided I would post up exactly how I created them.

Supplies (these are the supplies I used but of course you can use what you would like to create your own look):

  • hot glue gun (Michaels, a cheap one will run you about $10)
  • acrylic paint (You can buy this at Michaels, Walmart, any place that has an arts and crafts section. Each paint color will run you about $0.65)
  • sharpie marker (Walmart for about $1.00)
  • wooden door hangers (Michaels, $0.79 each)
  • shower curtain hooks (Walmart, $1.50)
  • ready made wooden animals (Michaels, $0.59 each)
  • ABC stencil with numbers (Michasels, $2.00)
I don't have the supplies before I created them (I obviously wasn't prepared to share all of this) so I'll only be able to show you the final product. 

Steps that I took to accomplish the final product:
  1. I painted each door hanger a color that would look nice with the animals I selected (animals were ready made so they were already colored and finished).
  2. Glue the animal onto the door hanger. You can put it anywhere really, you could even try to cover the hole since you don't need the hole to hang the finished product.
  3. Using a stencil, I traced the numbers for each divider and then used a sharpie to create a bolder look.
  4. Using a hot glue gun (carefully of course), glue the back of your divider and press the shower curtain hook. Add extra glue on top of the hook to make sure that it is secure.


This is the final product without the shower curtain hooks. I created one for each size that most companies use to break down their infant sizing.  

A close up view of the 3-6 months divider. 

The final product hanging in Baby Chon's closet. 

Hope you enjoy and have fun creating your own homemade closet dividers -=) 

1 comment: