Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

counting our blessings

(note: This blog, although public, is my personal journal for what is happening within my life and my family's. I do not intend to write these things to "brag" or "boast" about my life, but to give thanks for all that is given to me. I write these things so that I know in the future what I was going through: the circumstances, struggles, and successes. I hope that everyone can contain their judgement and rejoice with us, if not you can skip reading now)

We are so blessed to have been placed where we are, this year has been an amazing year for us. We haven't even celebrated our one year anniversary of being married and still everything is putting itself into place. I can only count my blessings and there are so many to count. Although there are always ups and downs, I can only see the great things that have happened in just a year.

Eugene and I got married in August 2010 and he told me he wanted to wait at least a year before having a child. He knew that I wanted a baby pretty much right away but stuck with his "one year plan". After a month of being married and after much discussion, Eugene and I decided we would not try or not not try to get pregnant. After only a few weeks, I found out I was pregnant. He would say he has some "strong men" but we all know that it was God's faithful plan. I still can't really grasp the fact that I'm pregnant and that in just 4 months, there will be another human being in our family.

Last March, Eugene and I moved into a 1 bedroom apartment in Wheeling. In October, even before we found out we were expecting a little one, Eugene and I searched around for 2 bedroom apartments since our 1 bedroom was so confined and we needed more room (especially with all my arts and crafts - I probably can use a whole room to myself). Two weeks later, we found out we were expecting child and somehow knew that there was a reason we were searching for a 2 bedroom all along. We were told by many of the apartment employees that it was way too soon to be looking for an apartment, especially if we weren't planning on moving until March and that they'd be in contact with us about openings when it comes sooner to our date. With that said, we stopped our search and waited... and waited (March couldn't come faster, I got way too excited to move into a 2 bedroom and not have to think about moving again for some time). 

Now here is some background, my family that I nanny has a townhouse that they rent out. The tenants lease ended in May of 2010 but they never renewed their lease and still lived there without more pressure to sign the lease. In October of 2010, the mother wanted to kick them out since they always had difficult times paying for the place and staying on top of rent (paying on time). In November of 2010, the family (mostly the mother) decided it was time to kick them out. The father didn't want to kick them out too close to the holidays and said that they would wait till the new year; new year = new start. 

The family talked to me a couple of times about letting my family stay in their townhouse. Although these were just early stages of talking, soon they became a bigger realty. Once the family would kick out their tenants, they would want new tenants to take over and since Eugene and I were looking anyways, everything just fit right into place. The only problem was that the tenants that lived in the townhouse had no clue that they would be kicked out and with their rap sheet of being "not so nice" people, the family was careful to lay out the news in a fair manner. But the only problem was that the family didn't say anything until February and Eugene and I had to move out by the end of March. Our one concern was that they wouldn't move out in time for the townhouse to be cleaned up, fixed, and ready for us to move in by the time our lease ended. Especially if the tenants put up a fight and said they needed a 60 day notice to vacant, etc. 

But, God is good and His plan always falls through. By end of February, a couple days into March, the tenants moved out without too much issue and the place is now vacant for move in. I can't tell you how stressed I was throughout this year because of this place. We were counting on living here and didn't really tell any other apartment complexes that we would need a place. If this place didn't fall through, we would have been homeless starting March 31st and would have to have probably put everything in storage and live with Eugene's parents. This was seriously a test of faith, holding enough faith to know that everything would fall through and that we wouldn't be homeless. 

Not only did the deal go through but we are blessed to be living in a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom townhouse with an attached garage for a decent amount. None of the 2 bedroom places that we searched in the beginning of October had the rent of what this townhouse is costing us. Not only this, but having dogs really does limit the places you can live, plus there's usually pet rent that costs anywhere from $20-40 a month per dog. Having two dogs, that's almost an extra $100 per each month. My whole family will have a place to live for the next year or two before Eugene and I become homeowners. 

Every time I think about the situation we placed ourselves in and how much trust we had that everything would fall into place, I can't help but be grateful and amazed at how great God is. Without Him, I am certain that none of this would have been possible. 

I am so excited to move into our new townhouse, our apartment is pretty much packed and ready to move. The tenants just moved out and we're waiting for repairs, new carpet, and paint to be done before we can finally see our new home. Yes, that's right, if you read that correctly it says "finally see our new home", that's the whole kicker. Eugene and I have seen the outside of this place but haven't even gone inside to see how this place really looks. It's a pretty exciting way to live life if you ask me, I can't believe I'm moving into a home that I have never seen before. 

Back to counting our blessings, this year has been an amazing run for both Eugene and I and I can't believe it hasn't even been a year of marriage. We're finally settling in to a new home and extending our family, and I can't ask for anything more. I know that life doesn't give you only ups so I know that there will be downs but no matter how down life gets, all we need to know is that God will provide in every circumstance. All we need to have is a little FAITH. 

No comments:

Post a Comment